Thursday, December 19, 2013

I'm Disappointed in Phil Robertson

By now, I'm sure you're fully aware of the Duck Dynasty show, it's goofy antics, and the bearded men who made the show popular. I doubt you've missed the whole hullabaloo about Phil Robertson's recent remarks in GQ. You may or may not be as familiar with my opinion and you may not care. Fair enough. But, I feel as if I must put it out there and I've decided to honor that feeling.

I fully believe that Mr. Robertson is entitled to his opinion and he is as entitled to share his opinion as I am mine. That said, I'm seriously disappointed. I'm not so much surprised, but very disappointed. The show has been surprisingly popular and Duck Dynasty merchandise and the men of the show seem to be everywhere one looks lately. This put Mr. Robertson in a unique position to go forth and share the word of Jesus Christ, as he felt moved to do.

As a fellow Christian, I understand why Mr. Robertson felt so moved to share his love of Jesus. It is, after all, the greatest commandment that Jesus gave us- to love our God with all of our heart, mind, and soul. What Phil Robertson seems to have missed is the second greatest commandment Jesus gave us- to love your neighbor as yourself. Mr. Robertson had a unique opportunity to reach countless people through his popularity and share the love that Jesus taught us and instead he chose to share a message of vile hate.

I'm not surprised. All too often, followers of Christianity choose to spread hate and intolerance instead of love. I'm disappointed, and I feel that disappointment deep in my soul. If we were to read the Bible and follow the Old Testament, we'd be burning our houses down when we found mold. We'd be sacrificing animals. Women wouldn't be allowed in church very often. Men, well...men would not be allowed to lie with other men, and women with other women. Dear people, we DON'T follow the laws of the Old Testament. Jesus took all of that away from us and His commandments were simple:

Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”    

LOVE. The greatest commandments are about love. Sadly, Mr. Robertson missed a golden opportunity to share that love and in spreading his message of hate he has likely sent more people running  away from Christianity.  

So, my thoughts for Mr. Robertson are these:

Dear Mr. Roberston, my heart hurts today because of your message. You now have an opportunity to open your heart and your mouth to try to right the wrong, to mitigate some of the damage. I can only watch this story unfold like everyone else and see if you decide to share love and hope this Christmas season, or if you continue to use your popularity to spew hate.

As for me and my house, we will share love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment