Friday, November 9, 2012

A Very Special Kind of Crazy

This whole rebuild-the-house-after-the-stupid-crock-pot-fire thing has been insane, but Thursday was a very special kind of crazy. Everything arrived on Thursday. Okay, maybe not everything. But a whole bunch of stuff arrived on Thursday.

The cabinets arrived. Well...half the cabinets arrived, but that is a whole other blog post. Then the appliances arrived. Then the sofas, chairs, and ottoman arrived. Then the table and beds arrived. Then the mattresses showed up. There was a whole crew in and out hanging cabinets and the flooring guy was trying to put carpet on the steps that the furniture crews were climbing. He should have been finished last week, but again...another blog  post. A guy was in there putting tinted mortar on the fireplace. The house was hopping.

When the chaos finally cleared it looked something like this...
Dining Room
After carrying around paint chips and laminate samples for a year, it was really nice to see it all come together. It was even more wonderful to see that it all looked just as I had imagined it would in my mind. (Except in my mind it was all finished.)
Yes, there is still plastic on the counter top. Yes, that is my dishwasher and microwave in those boxes there. Yeah, yeah, yeah...there is plastic on the window and that is a bare wire you see hanging down. Yes, the faucets are missing. But look how wonderful it all looks!
Into the Family Room
Actually, as I break from packing to type this post, the faucets are in and the refrigerator is being fully installed. The house passed the final codes inspection this morning and we are legal to move in!
Main Bath
We even have working toilets! Those were long over due. The lawn watered. Euww.
Entry into the Family Room
Look at that awesome stair railing the Big Guy created. It will be stained to match the kitchen cabinets. Right after the baseboards are installed and the office windows are trimmed out and the pantry shelves are built and...

Oh my. His honey-do list is quite extensive. 

Fish and Rough Stuff enjoying the new place.
It has been several weeks since Fish has gone into the house. The other kids get excited about the progress but Fish wanted to be surprised. As you can see, she approved. The kids were so excited they didn't want to leave. I was under the same spell. It is really difficult to stop at the house now just to drop something off or meet someone and then have to leave. I just want to sit in the middle of the house and admire it with a big, goofy smile on my face. 

So, the house has come together nicely. We are all packed up and ready to move in. We're just sitting around waiting for the volunteers to come and help us load the moving truck. 

If you believe that, I've got a crock to sell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment