Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sharing the Journey

I write my blog from my perspective. I'm selfish that way, ya know? It's MINE after all. My blog. Mine. Mine. Mine. My views. My ups. My downs. My journey.

Oh, how I wish this journey were all mine. But it's not. The whole herd of us are on the journey together. And we are each affected differently. I would love to be able to take the pain and the trauma from my children...to be able to turn back the clock and erase the memories of the fire...to erase the fear they felt that night as the pets were trapped inside the house, as their possessions were consumed in smoke and flame, as their home became a strange and surreal memory.

I can't take it away though, and I know the journey will shape them...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger and all that jazz. They are amazing kids. I'm so proud of them. I am so impressed with how Bubba and Tuna called 9-1-1 and corralled their younger siblings into the truck and then to a neighbors house to safety. I am impressed with how resilient they have all been.

I want to dedicate this post to my son. His life journey includes Asperger's Syndrome, an Autism Spectrum Disorder. One of the characteristics of folks with Asperger's is that they don't like change. At all. Ever. Bubba has, like the rest of us, had to endure change in the most extreme sense. He is also the only member of the herd that lost a pet in the fire. I am so impressed with his insight and I want to share it with you. He wrote this just a few days after the fire.
 
 A trail out of sorrow
A limb on the trail
A disruption in the creek
A mountain, a valley, a fire burning without control
All disruptions from the path of destiny
Or am I wrong
And these disruptions are necessary for true life to exist
Hills are in abundance
They are one type of life’s many road blocks
In Arkansas, the forest in which I dream of living
It is there I wish to settle my life
Arkansas has these mountains and valleys
These mountains must be crossed
And there may be a toll
The real struggle however
The biggest mountains are what are on the road to home for me
My dream passes through my mind many times each day
Right now however I am crossing through smoke
Around me burning a thousand lost dreams
As I go through the smoke
I begin to choke
Depression sets in occasionally as I go through
I must leave the past behind
Each day the dreams fade away
Dying is all around
Lives, dreams lost forever
It’s a sad thought, a very rainy day indeed
However it is worse when you have lost everything
One shall learn though as they come from the smoke
You can never lose everything
There’s always something to love
Disruptions make you stronger
And ultimately will make life longer
And so the key to a true life is hardship and struggle
You can never get rid of the mountains
They’re here forever     

{May you rest in reptile peace, Mr. Merlin} 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment